Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I love being busy;

So, I've decided to continue with varsity soccer and I've also joined the Society of Social Work today. I'm really happy, because I'm realising one of my goal of being active in campus life, and doing enriching activities.

There's soccer training tommorrow, and I'm really hoping that my touches are still there! :D I'm sort of looking forward to it. I miss dribbling and kicking and playing with the football so much, it hurts! Haha.

I'm also going for a sign language course organised by the SSW! I know its going to be really enriching and exciting. Sign language never fails to intrigue me. Especially because during service, my cellgroup often sit behind the deaf and mute congregation, so there will be a person standing up signing, and I will always be looking on in curiousity.

And I'm really in love with all the modules I'm taking currently. Yesterday, I even dreamt of what I learnt in my Political Science lecture! Hahaha. God is good indeed, and I wanna shout His praises!

While feeing happy and positive, I cant help wondering at the same time, how at this moment, people all over the world are actually going through different emotions from me. Someone out there may be euphoric, sad, hurt, unhappy, glad, over the moon, angry, pissed, at the same time as me feeling happy. Its amazing to think that at this moment, somebody is going through a whole set of different siuation that renders him that particular emotion.

Someone out there at this moment may be having an orgasm of their lifetime. Someone out there at this moment may have lost their loved one. Someone out there at this moment may have been retrenched. Someone out there at this moment may have given birth to that lovely baby. Someone out there at this moment may jus realised that she's being cheated by the man she loved somuch. Someone out there may have just gave away her first kiss. Someone out there may just have prepared her first dinner fot the people she love. Someone out there may have lost big sums of mony due to investment failures.

And then I thought about the Haiti people. About how, at this moment, I'm feeling at peace in the comfort of my home after a great bath, with the priviledge to be typing away on my laptop. How, at this moment, many of them are living under terrible conditions, with people they know and love decaying away under the rubble, not too far away from them. How, at this moment, they're feeling so fearful because of multiple aftershocks that remind them of the first big quake that destroyed their homes.

Although I've never been through such natural disaster, I can empathise the fear, horror and loss they are going through just by putting myself in their shoes.

Seeing citicare sending doctors, nurses and relief workers over to aid these people makes me proud. But on my part, I really wish I can do something more for them. I wished that I can just pack up and fly over to volunteer to help. Donations are important. But in their corrupt governmental system, will the money even get through? But then again, saying is easy, the doing always difficult. Helping out in such conditions is really way out of everyone's comfort zone, out of my comfort zone.

I admire and respect people who put their life on the frontline, who are willing to volunteer themselves in such dark times of need. The world surely needs more of them.

I pray that God will continue to use them to aid Haiti, and to bring light to this country. And I pray the God will stand by Haiti and the people, to give them peace, and to show them a way to recovery.

"Look at the world we live today
Look at the hurting everywhere
Let us see mercy and Your grace
Overflowed in every place
Let us be one with You today
And let your glory fall"


Love,
Theresa 26th an '10 11:45pm